Degree FAQ

These courses are for anyone who wants to achieve a degree while benefiting from accessible entry requirements, small class sizes in years 1 and 2, flexible exit routes with qualifications, practical classes and experiences, and employment-focused subjects.

While many of our students are aged 18-25, older students are also on programmes looking to enhance their career options, or are fulfilling ambitions to graduate and learn more about an area of interest. The majority of our students come from Scotland, however a few students have joined us from England, from across the European Union, and other nations.

This is to reflect a key aim of helping to make degree-level study as accessible as possible to lots of people, from school leavers to adults looking to return to education, or career-changers. The level of study is as challenging as any other course – come prepared for degree level study.


Many students find it beneficial to complete a 2-year HND before moving on to the University in year 3 for the remainder of the programme. This allows students to study in a smaller-scale college environment, with small class sizes, and supportive lecturers which can help to build confidence as well as practical skills.

On occasion, a student will opt to leave the programme after 1st or 2nd year, and as long as they complete all the work required, they can exit with an HNC or an HND and these are qualifications which are recognised by employers.

This gives flexibility, as well as a structured platform for students to build on.


You’ll notice the partnership degrees are in engineering, science, computing, tourism and digital media. These subject areas are aligned to the job market – there is demand from Scotland-based employers for work-ready graduates in these subject areas.

In years 1 and 2, students are timetabled for 16 hours of classes each week of term (although there can be more). “Classes” can mean lectures as well as practical activities, e.g. lab work in BSc (Hons) Applied Biological Sciences, or project work in BA (Hons) Digital Media. Usually, classes are scheduled over 3 days. Usually, this leaves students with 2 weekdays plus weekends for self-study, assessments, work, and other commitments outside of education.

In years 3 and 4 while on university timetables, you will find your contact hours will be different. In some subjects, you might have less contact time, and in others your timetabled hours may increase. Regardless of your course, you’ll need to set aside more time for self-study. Where the university allows you to choose modules in years 3 and 4, your contact hours will also differ depending on which modules you select. Your university timetable can consist of tutorials, practical sessions and seminars, as well as lectures.

During COVID-19, we have had to make adjustments to timetables, mainly some online teaching and learning. Our preference is to have students on-campus for face-to-face teaching and learning where possible. You will be advised of how classes will be delivered, and delivery can be dependent on the individual subject being taught. Delivery mode is subject to change e.g. from on-campus to online, depending on circumstances, as well as any Government guidance. Any changes would be communicated to you as timely as possible.

Yes. Once you complete enrolment with Forth Valley College and the University, you’ll get student cards from both institutions (can’t be used to double any student discounts in shops, online etc.!).

Cards are especially important in situations where you need one to access a facility on campus.

You’ll need to enrol with the college and the university.

Both enrolment processes are online; you’ll receive emails informing you about enrolment so you can complete as soon as possible.

Please visit the course webpage for information about course content, including any Work Placement arrangements and when they take place.

You can use, for example, Google Maps to help plan your travel to and from campus.

All partnership degrees - except BA (Hons) Digital Media and BA (Hons) Heritage & Tourism - are delivered at Falkirk campus for the first 2 years*.

*Strathclyde’s BEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering is delivered at Falkirk campus for 1 year only.

* BSc (Hons) Applied Biological Sciences and BSc (Hons) Software Development with Cyber Security students who take a room in University of Stirling accommodation in Stirling will need to travel to Falkirk campus 3 days per week. Travel costs need to be covered by students e.g. from student loan or bursary funding. You are advised to consider whether or not it would be best to travel from home or take accommodation in Falkirk, rather than take a place in University accommodation.

Under 22s are entitled to free bus travel in Scotland, please click here to visit the website.

Visit the Scotrail website for timetables, ticket prices, and railcards. 

Car parking is available at all College campuses, and you can register for an on-campus student parking permit.

Please click here to visit our student funding section of the website which goes into detail regarding higher education study. 

Please disclose any Additional Support Needs as soon as possible so that the College’s team can carry out a Needs Assessment with you and put in place a Personal Learning Support Plan.

Visit our learning support section of the website for more information.

Please visit our support and advice section of the website for further information.

If your question involves a service or process at the University, email Tracey and her colleagues:

Please visit our support and advice section of the website for further information.

If your question involves a service or process at the University, email Andrew:

Please visit our support and advice section of the website for further information.

If your question involves a service or process at the University, email Natalie at the Engineering Academy:

Email the University Partnerships Engagement Officer: If you’re a current student, you can also drop Sarah a message on Teams. 
Sarah will either directly respond to your questions, or will put you in touch with a colleague at the College or universities who is best placed to advise you. 

You’re also welcome to call 01324 403009 during office hours, and if your call cannot be answered please leave a voicemail or email Sarah instead and a call-back will be arranged.