HNC Computing (SCHOOLS)
Falkirk: Tuesday and Thursday (afternoons) over two years.
***PLEASE NOTE - only students who will be at School during session 2017/18 can apply for this course***
Higher National Certificates are designed to meet the needs of employers both locally and nationally. Employers highly value the employability skills developed through HN study, as they equip learners very well for the realities of the workplace. HNCs demonstrate to employers that the holder has the skills and the ability to succeed in their industrial sector.
Undertaking the HNC Computing provides you with the opportunity to experience higher education level study in Computing that is not available in schools. This can give you an advantage when progressing to university or applying for a Modern Apprenticeship and will add value to your CV or UCAS application’s personal statement.
Candidates will study for 6 unit credits in each year.
In Year 1 you will study:
- Computer System Fundamentals
- Troubleshooting Computer Problems
- Professionalism and Ethics
- Developing Software: Introduction
- Software Development
- Graded Unit Exam - written exam covering the units above
In Year 2, you will study:
- Team Working in Computing
- Developing Small Scale
- SQL: Introduction
- Multi User Operating Systems
- Introduction to Project Management
Articulation to college courses would require students to undertake some work on a self-study basis.
- Junior Software Developer
- Applications Programmer
- Systems Analyst
- User Support
Possible articulation to year 2 of BSc (Hons) at Forth Valley College in partnership with Stirling University or to Year 2 of HND Computing: Software Development.
- ***PLEASE NOTE - only students who will be at School during session 2017/18 can apply for this course***
- School verified predictions that the pupil is on track to achieve 2 Highers at B or above, including English or Maths.
24 August 2017
14 June 2018