HNC Computing (SCHOOLS)
***PLEASE NOTE - only pupils who will be at school during session 2021/22 can apply for this course***
Higher National Certificates are designed to meet the needs of employers both locally and nationally. Employers highly value the employability skills developed through HN study, as they equip learners very well for the realities of the workplace. HNCs demonstrate to employers that the holder has the skills and the ability to succeed in their industrial sector.
Undertaking the HNC Computing provides you with the opportunity to experience higher education level study in Computing that is not available in schools. This can give you an advantage when progressing to university or applying for a Modern Apprenticeship and will add value to your CV or UCAS application’s personal statement.
Falkirk: Tuesday and Thursday (afternoons) over two years.
Candidates will study for 6 unit credits in each year.
In Year 1 you will study:
- Computer System Fundamentals
- Troubleshooting Computer Problems
- Professionalism and Ethics
- Developing Software: Introduction
- Software Development
- Graded Unit Exam - written exam covering the units above
In Year 2, you will study:
- Team Working in Computing
- Developing Small Scale
- SQL: Introduction
- Multi User Operating Systems
- Introduction to Project Management
Articulation to college courses would require students to undertake some work on a self-study basis.
- Junior Software Developer
- Applications Programmer
- Systems Analyst
- User Support
HNC Computing can be used to gain entry to Computing resulted HE courses.
- Pupils should be working towards achieving two Highers including English or Maths over S5 and S6 and your school will need to confirm that you are ready to study at Higher level.
- Pupils should have achieved at least National 5 in Maths, English and Computing Science in S4 achieving at least a B pass in each of these.
For more information, please contact your pupil support teacher in your school.
24 August 2021
16 June 2022