Foundation Apprenticeship in Software Development (Schools) - 2 Year Option
Please note that only secondary school pupils staying on at school and who will be starting S5 in August 2019 are eligible to apply for this course.
A Foundation Apprenticeship in IT Software Development could be a pupils first step to a career in an ever-growing industry. The Foundation Apprenticeship is a great way to get hands-on experience and also gain a qualification at the same level as a Higher. You will have the unique chance to develop skills and knowledge across a range of software development related topics in the classroom, alongside the experience of a valuable work placement with an employer.
What qualifications will pupils achieve?
On successful completion, pupils will achieve a Foundation Apprenticeship (Group Award) in IT Software Development at SCQF Level 6 (the same level as a Higher), which includes:
• A National Progression Award Software Development at SCQF Level 6 (3 units)
• Five work-based units from the Diploma for IT and Telecommunications Professionals at SCQF Level 6
Pupils will attend a Forth Valley College or a local secondary school for six hours per week all year (this is likely to be two half days).
Pupils will attend a work placement for one day a week throughout the year and a lecturer from the College will visit them regularly to assess their competency of the work-based units.
(Please note that this course continues throughout periods of study leave from school and it is very important that pupils attend during these periods, except on exam days).
All travel to College and work placements is funded.
• Possible accelerated entry onto a Modern Apprenticeship in IT and Telecoms at SCQF Level 6 (the work-based units achieved will count towards the Modern Apprenticeship qualification)
• Gaining entry onto the Technical Apprenticeship (at SCQF Level 8)
• Exploring options for a related Graduate Level Apprenticeship in ICT/Digital
• Higher level study at college on HND Software Development (must also have Higher Maths at Grade C or above)
• Progressing straight into a job in the IT industry
• Using the Foundation Apprenticeship alongside Highers to apply to university
• Pupils will probably be working towards achieving one or two Highers over S5 and S6 and their school will need to confirm that they are ready to study at Higher level
• Pupils should either have achieved or be working towards at least National 5 in Maths and English in S5 and should be capable of achieving at least a grade C pass in each of these
• Pupils should have already achieved National 5 in Computing Science and attained at least a grade C pass
Further advice for full-time applicants:
Please ensure you have an online account before starting your application.
If you created your account prior to September 2016, you will need to register a new account.
Before starting the application process, please ensure you already hold or are working towards the relevant entry qualifications required for the course you are applying for
Ensure you use your own personal email address when creating your online account
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email immediately
If you do not receive an acknowledgement e-mail immediately, please check your SPAM/Junk folder
Please include as much detail as possible in your personal statement such as; the reason you are applying, future career plans, previous employment, relevant experience, hobbies and interests
Disclosing support needs in your application will not affect your chances of being offered a place on a course at Forth Valley College
If your application is successful, you will be invited for interview. For January start courses interviews will be in Nov/Dec and interviews for August start courses will take place between February and May
If your application is unsuccessful, you will be offered support in finding a suitable alternative course
Applicants who provide a mobile phone number on their application form will be sent a text reminder prior to the day of interview
If you are unable to attend an interview or wish to withdraw your application - please email email@example.com
20 August 2018
11 June 2020