CompEx Mechanical (Ex11)
CompEx 11 Mechanical and Flange Integrity Core Competence Certification
This CompEx Ex11 course determines the core competency of Mechanical Practitioners (Technicians & Engineers) working in explosive atmospheres. Course delivery is conducted over three days consisting of a mechanical hazardous area awareness course including the established CompEx Foundation Module (Ex F), with a written examination and finally overall core competency is validated with an installation and inspection practical assessment on mechanical equipment.
Ex11 follows a syllabus to enable safe working practices for the international standard ISO 80079 Parts 36 & 37 and allows employers to benchmark the core competency requirements of both their staff and sub-contractors.
The new flange integrity practical consists of:
1. Visual inspection, measurement and selection of parts.
2. Flange assembly, blanking of flange.
3. Pressure Test, assessment and depressurisation.
4. Safe Breaking of a Flange Joint.
• Directives and Legislation
• Area Classification
• Gas Groups
• Equipment for use in Hazardous Areas
• Temperature Classification
• Basic Principles of Flammable Compounds
• Protection Methods of non-electrical Equipment
• Inspection and Maintenance of Bearings
• Management of material changes
• Belt Drives
• Upper and Lower Flammability Levels
• Light Metals
• Inspection types and Grades
• Mechanical Containment
• Recommendations on Thread Engagement
• Fluid Groups
• Flash Points and Ignition Temperatures
Mechanical work within any hazardous area including Oil & Gas, Petrochemical and Distillery type industries.
Mechanical type apprenticeship (Level 3 SVQ/NVQ) or letter of endorsement from company.
90-minute exam on a close and detailed inspection on a mechanical pump rig (use of tools/locking out/fault identification assessment)
30-minute flange integrity practical. Selection and fitting of appropriate gaskets, bolts and flange blanks, pressure testing and safe removal.
90-minute exam (multiple choice)
Cost per person
03 April 2019
05 April 2019