CompEx Mechanical (Ex11)
CompEx 11 Mechanical and Flange Integrity Core Competence Certification
This CompEx Ex11 course determines the core competency of Mechanical Practitioners (Technicians & Engineers) working in explosive atmospheres. Course delivery is conducted over three days consisting of a mechanical hazardous area awareness course including the established CompEx Foundation Module (Ex F), with a written examination and finally overall core competency is validated with an installation and inspection practical assessment on mechanical equipment.
Ex11 follows a syllabus to enable safe working practices for the international standard ISO 80079 Parts 36 & 37 and allows employers to benchmark the core competency requirements of both their staff and sub-contractors.
The new flange integrity practical consists of:
1. Visual inspection, measurement and selection of parts.
2. Flange assembly, blanking of flange.
3. Pressure Test, assessment and depressurisation.
4. Safe Breaking of a Flange Joint.
From 1 April 2019, Compex have introduced the CompEx ID card as mandatory, the cost of this is £25 and is included in our price of £745pp.
This course is eligible for ITA funding. If you wish to use ITA funding towards the cost of this course, you must first apply for the ITA funding through the My World of Work website. Once you’ve applied for funding, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to book your course.
Please note ITA funding for this course should not be applied for until your place is secured.
• Directives and Legislation
• Area Classification
• Gas Groups
• Equipment for use in Hazardous Areas
• Temperature Classification
• Basic Principles of Flammable Compounds
• Protection Methods of non-electrical Equipment
• Inspection and Maintenance of Bearings
• Management of material changes
• Belt Drives
• Upper and Lower Flammability Levels
• Light Metals
• Inspection types and Grades
• Mechanical Containment
• Recommendations on Thread Engagement
• Fluid Groups
• Flash Points and Ignition Temperatures
Mechanical work within any hazardous area including Oil & Gas, Petrochemical and Distillery type industries.
Mechanical type apprenticeship (Level 3 SVQ/NVQ) or letter of endorsement from company.
90-minute exam on a close and detailed inspection on a mechanical pump rig (use of tools/locking out/fault identification assessment)
30-minute flange integrity practical. Selection and fitting of appropriate gaskets, bolts and flange blanks, pressure testing and safe removal.
90-minute exam (multiple choice)
06 April 2020
08 April 2020
Cost per person
20 May 2020
22 May 2020
Cost per person