Full-time Higher Education (HE) Funding

A Higher Education (or advanced) course can be classified as any course at HNC Level or above (SCQF Level 6 and above).

Eligibility for funding support will always be dependent on individual circumstances however as a full-time higher education student, you may be entitled to the following:

Tuition Fees

In most cases, students studying on full-time higher education courses will not have to pay their own tuition fees.

Exceptions to this would be students who are repeating an area of study, those who do not meet funding requirements or those who do not satisfy residency requirements.

Students must apply to the Students Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) to have their fees paid.


Bursaries are non-repayable grants available to students.

Students who are independent, for example aged 25 or over, married or living with a partner, or have a child living with them, can apply for an Independent Students Bursary (ISB). Non-independent students from low income families can apply for a Young Students Bursary (YSB).

SAAS will assess these grants based on your gross household income (before tax).

Student Loan

You may be entitled to apply for a repayable Student Loan. This will consist of a non-means tested element and a means tested element. The means tested element will depend on the income of your parent(s) or spouse/partner.

The loan you receive is repaid once you are in employment and earning over a certain salary (currently £17,355 per annum). The repayments are deducted from your wages in small amounts over a period of time.

Visit Students Loan Company website for more details.

Additional SAAS Grants

Other supplementary grants available from SAAS include:

  • Lone Parent Grant
  • Disabled Students Allowance
  • Vacation Grant for Care Leavers
  • Dependents Grant and Healthcare Funding

Additional College Funding

Students on higher education courses may also be entitled to additional funding support from the college including:

  • The Higher Education Discretionary Fund – A limited fund which helps students with their rent mortgage costs.
  • The Higher Education Childcare Discretionary Fund – A fund which can help with the costs of a registered child-minder or nursery.

All HE students will be sent a link to the online application form.

Student Assistance Fund

If you find yourself in unexpected financial difficulties while at College you may be eligible for assistance from our Student Fund Assistance Fund.  Download application form below;

Student Assistance Fund

Council Tax Discount

As a full-time student, you may be entitled to a council tax discount.  

Please contact your local council office for more information. 


Help & Advice

For more information on SAAS funding, visit or call 0300 555 0505.

To contact our Student Finance Team, call 01324 403000 or email


Got a question?

01324 403 000