- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
FAA in First Aid for Mental Health
Successful learners completing this qualification will become a ‘First Aider for Mental Health’ and be able to utilise the skills and knowledge gained within their workplace and private life.
This 6-hour qualification provides learners with the knowledge to recognise a range of mental health conditions, how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost a person to seek appropriate professional help. Learners will know how to recognise and manage stress and understand the impact of substance abuse. They will learn about the first aid action plan for mental health, be able to put it in place and know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
Learners will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals but will gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they
can go to get help.
The qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement. It is strongly recommended that the learner attends annual refresher training. The learner will need to complete the full course again to requalify for a further three years.
- Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to the FAA Award in Leading First Aid for Mental Health.
- The qualification is available to learners aged 14 or over. It is recommended that learners should hold a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or equivalent to undertake this qualification.
11 May 2022
18 May 2022