HND Chemistry with Sustainability
This course is an Environmental Chemistry based HND group award that is intended for students looking to find employment in the Sustainability, Environmental, Life Sciences or Chemical Science industries or to progress to further study at degree level.
Year 1 is designed to build a solid foundation of scientific knowledge and understanding in the areas of Chemistry & Applied Biology. In year 2, there is a stronger focus on sustainability and environmental science. This course follows the group award structure of the HND Applied Chemical Science.
The course provides students with knowledge and skills related to all areas of chemistry along with some biology based units to support chemistry/biology links. Students will develop a wide range of practical laboratory skills in addition to gaining a strong underpinning theoretical knowledge.
- Graded Unit 1 Project
- Environmental Awareness, Biochemistry, Biotechnology
- Laboratory Skills
- Fundamental Chemistry, Organic, and Inorganic Chemistry
- Mathematics & Statistics for Science
- Graded Unit 2 Project
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Sampling and Analysis
- Ecology & Ecosystems
- Quality Health and Safety
- Aromatic, Base Catalysed & Organometallic, Transition, Main Group, Phase Equillibrium & Surface Chemistry
- Instrumental Techniques
- Research Scientist
- Scientific Technologist
- Process Engineer Analytical
- Industrial Laboratory Technician
- Articulation into a relevant university degree
One of the following:
- NC Applied Science
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies and a further Higher at grade C or above
- An appropriate group of National Qualification units
- A minimum of two Highers at grade C or above (to include Biology or Chemistry)
- Preference will be given to applicants with a strong science background
Further advice for full-time applicants:
- Please ensure you have an online account before starting your application.
- If you created your account prior to September 2016, you will need to register a new account.
- Before starting the application process, please ensure you already hold or are working towards the relevant entry qualifications required for the course you are applying for
- Ensure you use your own personal email address when creating your online account
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email immediately
- If you do not receive an acknowledgement e-mail immediately, please check your SPAM/Junk folder
- Please include as much detail as possible in your personal statement such as; the reason you are applying, future career plans, previous employment, relevant experience, hobbies and interests
- Disclosing support needs in your application will not affect your chances of being offered a place on a course at Forth Valley College
- If your application is successful, you will be invited for interview. For January start courses interviews will be in Nov/Dec and interviews for August start courses will take place between February and May
- If your application is unsuccessful, you will be offered support in finding a suitable alternative course
- Applicants who provide a mobile phone number on their application form will be sent a text reminder prior to the day of interview
- If you are unable to attend an interview or wish to withdraw your application - please email email@example.com