Foundation Apprenticeship in Hardware & System Support (Schools) - 2 Year Option
Please note that only secondary school pupils staying on at school and who will be starting S5 in August 2019 are eligible to apply for this course.
A Foundation Apprenticeship in IT Hardware & System Support could be a pupils first step to a career in an ever-growing industry. The Foundation Apprenticeship is a great way to get hands-on experience and also gain a qualification at the same level as a Higher. Pupils will have the unique chance to develop skills and knowledge across a range of hardware and system support related topics in the classroom, alongside the experience of a valuable work placement with an employer.
What qualifications will pupils achieve?
On successful completion, pupils will achieve a Foundation Apprenticeship (Group Award) in IT Hardware and System Support at SCQF Level 6 (the same level as a Higher), which includes:
• A National Progression Award in Professional Computer Fundamentals at SCQF Level 6 (3 units)
• Five work-based units from the Diploma for IT and Telecommunications Professionals at SCQF Level 6
Pupils will attend Forth Valley College or a local secondary school for six hours per week all year (this is likely to be two half days).
Pupils will attend a work placement for one day a week throughout the year and a lecturer from the College will visit them regularly to assess their competency of the work-based units.
(Please note that this course continues throughout periods of study leave from school and it is very important that pupils attend during these periods, except on exam days)
All travel to College and work placements is funded.
• Possible accelerated entry onto a Modern Apprenticeship in IT and Telecoms at SCQF Level 6 (the work-based units achieved will count towards the Modern Apprenticeship qualification)
• Gaining entry onto the Technical Apprenticeship (at SCQF Level 8)
• Application for a related Graduate Level Apprenticeship in ICT/Digital
• Higher level study at college on HND Computing: Technical Support (relevant Higher at Grade C or above will also be required)
• Progressing straight into a job in the IT industry
• Using the Foundation Apprenticeship alongside Highers to apply to university
• Pupils will probably be working towards achieving one or two Highers over S5 and S6 and their school will need to confirm that they are ready to study at Higher level
• Pupils should also be working towards at least National 5 in Maths, English and preferably Computing Science in S5 and should be capable of achieving at least a C pass in each of these
Further advice for full-time applicants:
• Please ensure you have an online account before starting your application
• If you created your account prior to September 2016, you will need to register a new account
• Before starting the application process, please ensure you already hold or are working towards the relevant entry qualifications required for the course you are applying for
• Ensure you use your own personal email address when creating your online account
• Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email immediately
• If you do not receive an acknowledgement e-mail immediately, please check your SPAM/Junk folder
• Please include as much detail as possible in your personal statement such as; the reason you are applying, future career plans, previous employment, relevant experience, hobbies and interests
• Disclosing support needs in your application will not affect your chances of being offered a place on a course at Forth Valley College
• If your application is successful, you will be invited for interview. For January start courses interviews will be in Nov/Dec and interviews for August start courses will take place between February and May
• If your application is unsuccessful, you will be offered support in finding a suitable alternative course
• Applicants who provide a mobile phone number on their application form will be sent a text reminder prior to the day of interview
• If you are unable to attend an interview or wish to withdraw your application - please email firstname.lastname@example.org
19 August 2019
12 June 2020