- Social Care Practice
- Understanding and Supporting Behaviour and Mental Health
- Grief and Loss
HNC Social Services (Distance Learning)
Please note candidates must be employed in a social care environment to undertake this course.
This advanced level course is a blend of practical and theoretical learning which provides students with the necessary skills and knowledge required for a career in social care. Learners will also engage in a social care placement, where they will undertake three SVQ social services and healthcare units. Successful completion of this course provides the necessary qualifications for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
- Social care officer/worker
- Day care officer
- Foster carer community
- Care officer social work assistant
Forth Valley College has formal articulation links in place for entry into year 2 of the following degree programmes:
- BA (Hons) Community Education - University West of Scotland
- BA (Hons) Intergrated Health & Social Care - University West of Scotland
Please note articulation links are subject to change and do not guarantee a place on any university course. Students should check with individual universities for more detail. Each institution will have specific entry requirements.
- Successful interview
- Currently employed in a social care service
Plus one of the following:
- Two Highers at C or above (including English or communication 4/literature 1) and National 5 Maths (or equivalent)
- Successful completion of all units/exams within Pathway to Health Care/ Social Care (SCQF level 6)
- Successful completion of SVQ Health and Social Care level 3 (SCQF level 6)
- Applicants that do not meet these criteria but have relevant paid workplace experience or alternative qualifications
Further advice for applicants:
Please be aware that this course is not eligible for full time SAAS funding and you will not be eligible to apply for a Student Loan. This course is classed as part time and you may be eligible to claim part time funding for tuition fees only from SAAS. This will not cover the full cost of the tuition fees and you will still have a portion to pay yourself.
The following will give further information to the amount you may be awarded and how much you can pay in instalments:
Course Fee - £1285
Initial Payment - £385
Balance - £900 (Direct debit split over 7 months)
Part-time fee grant (96 scqf points - £1028 awarded)
Course Fee - £1285
Initial Payment - £77
Balance - £180 (Direct debit split over 7 months)
Course Fee - £1285
Initial Payment - To be paid in full upon receipt of invoice
Students using part time fee grant can apply and access the full eligibility criteria via the part-time funding section of the SAAS website at: www.saas.gov.uk. Before you apply you will need information such as the full course title which is above and the number of SCQF credit points (96) for your course. If successful, a letter of award will be issued which will include how much funding you have been awarded.
Students who wish to pay by instalments should complete a direct debit mandate. If employer are paying fees then they should complete an Employers Agreement form.
All students must make an initial payment of 30% unless their Employer are paying fees
Preparing to apply
- Please ensure you have an online account before starting your application
- Ensure you use your own personal email address when creating your online account - Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email immediately- please check your SPAM/Junk folder
- Please include as much detail as possible in your personal statement such as; the reason you are applying, future career plans, previous employment, relevant experience, hobbies and interests
- Disclosing support needs in your application will not affect your chances of being offered a place on a course at Forth Valley College
- If your application is successful, you will be invited for interview
- If you are unable to attend an interview or wish to withdraw your application - please email firstname.lastname@example.org
21 August 2023