HNC Social Services (Distance Learning)
Please note candidates must be employed in a social care environment to undertake this course.
This advanced level course is a blend of practical and theoretical learning which provides students with the necessary skills and knowledge required for a career in social care. Learners will also engage in a social care placement, where they will undertake three SVQ social services and healthcare units. Successful completion of this course provides the necessary qualifications for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
Subject areas included in the qualification include:
- Social Care Practice
- Understanding and Supporting Behaviour and Mental Health
- Grief and Loss
- Social care officer/worker
- Day care officer
- Foster carer community
- Care officer social work assistant
On successful completion of this course students may progress onto a related degree programme.
Forth Valley College has formal articulation links in place for entry into year 2 of the following degree programmes:
BA (Hons) Community Education - University of the West of Scotland
BA (Hons) Social Work (Scotland) - Open University
*Please note that each institution will have specific entry requirements.
- Successful interview
- Must have 60 days practical experience in either a paid or voluntary position
Plus one of the following:
- Two Highers at C or above (including English or communication 4/literature 1) and National 5 Maths (or equivalent)
Successful completion of all units/exams within Pathway to Health Care (SCQF level 6)
- Successful completion of SVQ Health and Social Care level 3 (SCQF level 6)
- Applicants that do not meet these criteria but have relevant paid workplace experience or alternative qualifications may be considered
- Successful completion of all units/exams within Pathway to Social Care (SCQF level 6)
Further advice for full-time applicants:
- Please ensure you have an online account before starting your application.
- If you created your account prior to September 2016, you will need to register a new account.
- Before starting the application process, please ensure you already hold or are working towards the relevant entry qualifications required for the course you are applying for
- Ensure you use your own personal email address when creating your online account
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email immediately
- If you do not receive an acknowledgement e-mail immediately, please check your SPAM/Junk folder
- Please include as much detail as possible in your personal statement such as; the reason you are applying, future career plans, previous employment, relevant experience, hobbies and interests
- Disclosing support needs in your application will not affect your chances of being offered a place on a course at Forth Valley College
- If your application is successful, you will be invited for interview. For January start courses interviews will be in Nov/Dec and interviews for August start courses will take place between February and May
- If your application is unsuccessful, you will be offered support in finding a suitable alternative course
- Applicants who provide a mobile phone number on their application form will be sent a text reminder prior to the day of interview
If you are unable to attend an interview or wish to withdraw your application - please email firstname.lastname@example.org
24 August 2020
11 June 2021