My name is Callum Bonner and Forth Valley College helped me to become an Award winning Painting and Decorating Modern Apprentice. I would definitely encourage potential tradesmen and women to Choose College, to help take the next step in their careers.
I'm 22 year-of- age and am from Tullibody in Clackmannanshire. I completed my MA at Forth Valley College while working for Clackmannanshire Council and racked up a glowing list of achievements, before recently starting my own business called Pristine Decor Ltd.
My accolades include:
• Winning the Vocational Category (Scottish Region) British Education Awards 2019
• Winning the APSE Scotland Building and Housing Apprentice Awards – 4th Year Trade MA of the Year Award 2019
• Winning the Scottish Association of Painting Craft Teachers (SAPCT) Advanced Craft Category 2018
• Winning a Special Clackmannanshire Council award 2018
• Graduating with an Advanced Certificate in Painting and Decorating 2018
• Winning the Outstanding Achievement Award at the FVC graduation 2018 at Stirling Castle
• Making Team UK for the Euroskills held in Budapest September 2018 and the World Skills in Kazan Russia in 2019
• Winning Medallion Of Excellence at World skills Kazan
• Wining the John Barnes award through World Skills UK
I would recommend anyone to Choose College because it is a great environment to be in and you get to do the subject of your choice. It can lead onto further education or even better, full-time employment. Then if you are lucky and work hard, you could even go onto do competitions like I did and represent your country. It is well worthwhile.
It is a great feeling going through the four years of a MA and now having a trade behind me for my whole life, is a great feeling. I am mega proud of my achievements. I have won every award ceremony I have been to and it has been a great couple of years.
The facilities and lecturing staff at Forth Valley College are great and led me onto do things that I didn’t know were possible, such as representing my country In the Euroskills competition in Budapest, Hungary and leading me onto win awards ranging from regional to national level.
My journey has been phenomenal and I was the only painter to go to Kazan in Russia for the world competition. Team selection was in Ireland, so I have had a fair bit of travelling through all these experiences.
Forth Valley College has led me to get a tradesman’s job within the council and the best bit for me was being on that big stage in Budapest representing the UK. I would recommend the MA programme at FVC because it can push you to reach your maximum potential and if you are wanting to put the graft in, you will reap the benefits. My Forth Valley College Modern Apprenticeship has been an absolutely brilliant experience!
If I could sum up my college experience in three words… they would be - Amazing experience, incredible.
Find out more about our Modern Apprenticeship programmes here.