Student Visas

If you wish to study in the UK, international students require a Tier 4 (General) student visa. Below you will find the main steps you will need to take in order to obtain a visa.

Students are reminded that they need to allow sufficient time to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa in order to ensure their application is successful.   We suggest that any visa application made, should be submitted a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the start date of the course in order for necessary checks to be made, biometrics carried out, and interviews completed.

Applicants will need to meet British Immigration requirements and you may have to apply for entry clearance.

Please note:

Students from within the European Economic Area (EEA) and European Union (EU) are free to travel and work in the UK without restrictions.

If you are from a non-European country (not EEA or Swiss National), will need a visa or entry clearance.  You should obtain Entry Clearance (a UK student visa) before you leave your home country.  We recommend that you contact your nearest British Embassy or High Commission before travelling.  More information is available from the UK Visa & Immigration Web-site

Immigration regulations are subject to change and this can be at short notice – you should check the following websites for up to date information:

Entry Clearance as a student (Tier 4 Student Visa)

If you plan to stay in the UK to study for more than six months you must apply for entry clearance as a Tier 4 General student before travelling to the UK and this applies to students from all non EU countries.  In no circumstances will it be possible to change from a visitor's visa to a student visa.

Students applying for entry clearance will be required to score 40 points in order to be awarded a student visa.

To obtain a visa or entry clearance you will need to:


Forth Valley College continues to hold a Highly Trusted Sponsor licence which allows us to sponsor students coming to study with us under the Point Based System rules.

Please note, Forth Valley College does not hold a Tier 4 (Child) student visa licence.  This means that we cannot sponsor anyone under 16 years old.

The International Support Co-ordinator will support you through the visa application process and the college will issue the necessary letters and documents in order for you to apply for your student visa.

Once you have met the conditions of your offer and you have paid your full fee requirement you will be issued an unconditional offer along with a Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS).  This is a unique number which will enable UK Visa & Immigration to access information which the College has provided about you and the course in which you have been offered a place.


Closing date for International Applications is: 15th May 2015